1929 Apex Radio

Just sharing photos of a 1929 Apex radio I picked up a couple of years ago because I thought it was cool. It doesn't work, and I don't have the money right now to have it restored to working order at the moment, but hopefully in the future I will. Most of the inside parts are there, the power supply I was told is shot. I don't know if it is fixable, I know nothing about old radios, but what I do know about old electronics is DO NOT TURN THEM ON WITHOUT HAVING THEM SERVICED FIRST OR THEY MAY FRY!

Anyway, the radio:

 The receiver is on the top, the power supply on the bottom. This was done like this for one year only, 1929. That's how I know the year. It was unusual to have the power supply separate from the rest of the chassis.



Original plug and wire has seen better days.




The cabinet is in great shape. There's a glass ring on top and some nicks on the corners, and the speaker mesh is stained and has a couple of holes, but for the age it's in great shape. And the original legs were not lopped off as was sometimes done.



The hole beneath the dial is where the power switch used to be. I don't know why it's missing. Besides an antenna, it's the only part missing from the radio.

Comments